Three Impossible Tests (Mark 12:13-34)
Jesus’ enemies asked Him three ‘impossible’ questions intended to expose His faults and deficiencies.
- Should we pay taxes to Caesar? (Mark 12:13-17)
- How does marriage and remarriage work in the resurrection? (Mark 12:18-27)
- Of the 613 commandments in the OT, which is the greatest? (Mark 12:28-34)
But Jesus answers them flawlessly, and then turns the questions to us:
- Do you live as one who belongs entirely to God, giving all your time, resources, talents, energies to Him?
- Do you find your highest pleasure and delight in God and in the things of God above all else, meaning that Scripture, prayer, fellowshipping with Jesus, preaching the gospel, serving God’s people, is your greatest joy at all times?
- Do you love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, all your strength, and do you love your neighbor as your own self?
Jesus passed His tests perfectly, but we fail miserably. In this, Jesus shows us our great need is righteousness, and shows us that He only He can meet our need. He is our Passover Lamb.