“Lighthouse, what do you give thanks to God for? It is good and right to give thanks to God for all His benefits toward us, spiritual and material, and for how He is working in us, but do we also give thanks to God for how He is graciously working in others, in our friends? For how they are showing faith and love?”
Open in Prayer:
• Magnificent, Marvelous, Matchless Love
• I Asked the Lord
Read 2 Thessalonians 1
• Who is a friend you’re thankful for, and why do you appreciate this person?
• How have you prayed for this friend (or other friends) in the past?
Key Verses: 2 Thessalonians 1:3, 11-12
Key Idea: We can love our friends well by growing in prayer for them.
• Thank God for signs of grace in them.
• Ask God to work mightily in them.
• How have you recently seen a friend demonstrate faith, hope, and love?
• Could you consider letting this friend (or another) know how you are praying for him or her?
• How else, besides what we learn from Paul’s example in 2 Thess. 1, can we pray for our friends (e.g. Eph. 3:14-21; Phil. 1:9-11; Col. 1:9-14; 4:3-4)?
• Thank God for signs of grace in your friends.
• Ask God to work mightily in your friends.
• Pray that our church family/friends would continue to grow in individual and corporate prayer.
My prayer for Lighthouse:
“Thank You, God, for my friends at Lighthouse that though it is getting increasingly difficult to fellowship at a time like this–when our interactions with each other are mostly through a screen and when it is so much easier to be doing our own thing in our own little world–thank You for the love of my friends and my church family who are still reaching out because they know that being self-absorbed to the neglect of others is not befitting of one is worthy of Your kingdom. So help us Father, count us worthy. We desire to be patient with one another, to listen well, be slow to speak, slow to anger, and bear one another’s burdens well. Would You fulfill by Your power this desire of ours and our work of faith, to strengthen one another and show a dying world the hope of the gospel and the joy that we have in Your Son? Would you do this, Father, so that the name of Christ would be glorified in us at Lighthouse, and that we would all be more like Christ? We ask these things because it can only be done according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.”