Episode 34: Walking with the Wise
Proverbs 13:20 “Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, But the companion of fools will suffer harm.”
“We all walk with others. In this verse, walking is a metaphor for living life. We walk with others as we interact with people through conversation, emails, texts, what we read and who we listen to. We walk with others at home, at work, through podcasts, our kids’ social activities and church fellowship. We walk with family members, friends, teammates and coworkers. We all walk with others and it’s crucial to understand that those we walk with will influence us and we will influence them. This is the why the Proverb says, “whoever walks with the wise becomes wise.” We become like those we walk with, those who we spend time with and we are influenced by them in both good ways and bad ways.”
– Be Thou My Vision
Passage: Proverbs 13:20
“Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise,
But the companion of fools will suffer harm.”
Key idea: We should seek to walk through life with wise people because we will become like those we walk with.
1. Who are you walking with currently?
a. Who are the friends you talk to, text or email?
b. What books/authors are you reading?
c. What blogs and online articles you follow?
d. What other sources inform or influence your life?
2. Are the people you are walking with helping you to grow in wisdom?
a. How are they helping you grow in wisdom?
b. What’s one example of wisdom they’ve given to you during the COVID crisis?
c. How are you helping them grow in wisdom?
• Ask God for wisdom. See James 1:5 – he gives it generously!
• Ask God to bless you with wise friends and resources who will help you grow in walking wisely.
• Ask God to give you opportunities to be a blessing to others by speaking wisdom into their lives.