The Underdog Church (Acts 4)
4 Characteristics of the Underdog Church
1. The underdog church must trust in God’s sovereignty, so we can embrace persecution is part of the Christian life
The believers remind themselves of God’s sovereignty.
- Verse 24: The Sovereign God is the God of creation
- Verses 25 and 26: The Sovereign God is the God of revelation
- Verse 27: The Sovereign God is the God of history.
Examples of the rays of hope the early church saw.
- Acts 2:41
- Acts 4:4
- Acts 5:41-42
- Acts 8:1 and 4
2. The underdog church must remember we’re filled with the Holy Spirit, so we can be bold in proclaiming the gospel
Filled with the Holy Spirit and Boldness
- Acts 4:8
- Acts 4:13
- Acts 4:31
3. The underdog church must live in the fear of God, so we don’t live in fear of others
Two Different Fears
- Acts 4:16
- Acts 4:19-20
4. The underdog church must let go of the fleeting comforts and wisdom of this world, so non-Christians may experience the eternal comfort and joy of being in relationship with Christ
Unity – “one heart and soul”
Generosity – “and no one said that any of the things that belonged to him was his own, but they had everything in common.”
Gospel – “And with great power the apostles were giving their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus.” The power comes from God and we shouldn’t be surprised to see how His Word and His gospel fall upon the hearts of non-Christians.