Key Idea: Hope for the anxious heart comes when we identify it, expose it, and fight it with our faith in Christ.
Truth #1: Identify It – (v. 25)
- Defining anxiety: “To draw in different directions or distract. To be anxious, then, means to have a distracting care—to have our minds and hearts torn between two worlds. Anxious cares are typically tied to our earthly lives and are most often temporal, not eternal.” Paul Tautges
- Three Categories We Worry About
- Money and Possessions
- Death, Pain, and Suffering
- People and Their Judgments
Truth #2: Expose It – (vv. 25c-30)
- Lie #1: Money
- Lie #2: Self-Reliance
- Lie #3: Doubt
Truth #3: Fight It – (vv. 31-33)
- Trust the King – Psalm 56:3
- Seek the King – Philippians 4:6-7
- Confess to the King – Psalm 32:5
- Embrace the King – 1 Peter 5:7
Conclusion: Grace for Each Day (v. 34)
These two books provide daily devotions to help you fight against worry and anxiety.
- “A Small Book for the Anxious Heart: Meditations on Fear, Worry, and Trust” by Edward Welch
- “Anxiety: Knowing God’s Peace” by Paul Tautges
And one booklet on Luke 12:22-34.
- “Worry: Pursuing a Better Path to Peace” by David Powlison