The Gospel of John: Session 5 (Spring 2021)
Session 5 – Small Group Study Guide
Word: How this truth should be understood
- In John 17:10, Jesus says “All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them.” What does Jesus mean that He is glorified “in them” (his disciples/believers)? What’s the connection between God’s glory and the good of believers?
- Read Revelation 21:1-4. Why do you think the presence of God is so significant to what heaven is?
Worship: How this truth affects your heart
- If you were honest, how do you practically view God and His relationship with you (loving, distant, detached, grumpy, merciful, etc.)? What are the moments that this functional view of Him tends to play out, and how does this affect how you live?
- How might the reality that we belong to God and are in a relationship of love with Him change what living the Christian life looks like for you day to day?
- What are some examples of how you’ve seen God’s loving commitment to you from this past season or in your life?
Work: How this truth works out in your life
- Pastor Kim ended his sermon by saying, “I want to be convinced, and I want to convince you, that there is nothing greater than being loved by God.” What are some ways that you can grow to believe this truth? What are some resources or verses that you can think of to share with others who might have difficulty trusting in this? Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Gentle and Lowly by Dane Ortlund
- God’s Love: Better than Conditional by David Powlison
- Ephesians 2:1-10
- Mark 1:40-45
- Matthew 11:25-30
- John 6:37
- Hosea 11:7-9
- Exodus 34:6-7
- Romans 8
- If you are a parent, how would your children understand who Jesus is based on what you teach them and how you live? Think about your family’s priorities, disappointments, things that get you excited, etc. How can you demonstrate Him to be more beautiful? If you aren’t a parent, how about to your friends?
Sharing and Prayer
- The theme of our study in John is “to awaken and advance faith.” As you think about this season, what is one area in which you’d like to grow in living out your faith? Write this down and prepare to follow-up and track God’s work in our future sessions!
- What are some ways that you’d like to apply what you just learned to that one area you’d like to grow in living out your faith?
- Share other prayer requests.