Session 3 – Small Group Study Guide
Word: How this truth should be understood
- In verse 3 Jesus prays “that they may know you…” Why is this significant and how does this speak about faith in Christ? See Gen 4:1; Phil 3:10-11. How does Jesus define knowing God?
- How does Romans 8:32 connect the faithfulness of God and the Gospel?
- How do you see God’s sovereignty in Christ as you reflect on this passage? List down the references.
Worship: How this truth affects your heart
- What is an area which you struggle to have faith in God? How does the reality of Christ’s sovereignty, sacrifice, or success (victory) encourage you to trust Jesus in greater ways?
- Where in your heart do you sense a disconnect between you knowing about God (facts, doctrinal knowledge) from knowing God (your response and actions in light of your knowledge about God)?
- One example of misplaced faith offered in the sermon was faith in ourselves. Where are you in danger of being self-reliant instead of reliant on Christ? How would your life be different if you lived in humble dependence on Jesus?
Work: How this truth works out in your life
- How have you recently seen a demonstration of Christ’s faithfulness in your life? What lesson has he taught you through this situation that you can praise God for as a story of God’s grace in your life (Kept promises, constant presence, powerful purpose, means of persevering, etc.)?
- How might you use the truths of this message to encourage someone you know who’s struggling in their faith (this includes faith for daily life and circumstances)? While you don’t need to reveal the specific name or identity of this person if he/she is known by others in your group, do share about how you plan to reach out to this person. What are some specific commitments you can implement to encourage this person? Take some time this week to reach out to them and move toward them in love.
- One thing we learned in the message is that God is a promise keeping God. Make a list of 2-3 promises you want to hold on to this week and meditate on as you strive to trust him in greater ways. Can you write down a short, pithy, and personal way to remind yourself of this truth?
Sharing and Prayer
- The theme of our study in John is “to awaken and advance faith.” As you think about this season, what is one area in which you’d like to grow in living out your faith? Write this down and prepare to follow-up and track God’s work in our future sessions!
- What are some ways that you’d like to apply what you just learned to that one area you’d like to grow in living out your faith?
- Share other prayer requests.