The Darkness Flees: Session 8 (Spring 2021)
Session 8 – Small Group Study Guide
Word: How this truth should be understood
- Read Ephesians 1:15-23 (Paul’s first prayer in the letter to the Ephesians). Why do you think it is so important for them to understand the power of God? How might that change their lives?
- In verse 19 Paul prays that we may know “the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge.” What does that tell you about the depth of God’s love and what does that imply about the study of it?
Worship: How this truth affects your heart
- Think of a suffering or trial you are going through. How are you responding? How does your perspective change when you see God’s love behind it?
- How do you respond when God doesn’t seem to answer your prayers? How can you fight to see that God provides something better in allowing suffering in your life?
- What are some examples of worldly hopes that have become important to you? How would your life be different if you kept them in the right place in relationship to your hope in Christ?
Work: How this truth works out in your life
- What does “turning on the light” look like for you this week? How can you turn to Christ in hope?
- What are times that you remember God doing more than you can ask or think? Write them down so that you can share them with your small group for their encouragement.
- What have been some specific blessings of COVID? Write them down so that you can share them with your small group for their encouragement.
Sharing and Prayer
- The theme of our study in John is “to awaken and advance faith.” As you think about this season, what is one area in which you’d like to grow in living out your faith? Write this down and prepare to follow-up and track God’s work in our future sessions!
- What are some ways that you’d like to apply what you just learned to that one area you’d like to grow in living out your faith?
- Share other prayer requests.