The Darkness Flees: Session 7 (Spring 2021)
Session 7 – Small Group Study Guide
Word: How this truth should be understood
- Pastor Kim says that intimacy with God is borne out of what we know about him. All throughout John 17, Jesus’ prayer shows us what the Father is like. Peruse through John 17 and list some of the verses that demonstrate the Father’s character. What did you learn about our Father?
- One point that Pastor Kim makes is that we often don’t pray enough because we don’t see our need for grace. Since we can’t do anything apart from Christ, we absolutely need grace. How is that idea seen throughout verses 1-11? List specific verses.
- Read through verses 1-11. What is the dominant title that Jesus uses to address God? How does that inform how we ought to think of prayer?
Worship: How this truth affects your heart
- What are the different ways you approach God that negatively affect your prayer life (e.g. he is distant, detached, demanding, disgruntled, dissatisfied, etc.)? Do you think your prayer life would change if you believed God as a loving and faithful Father? How so?
- Take a look at the list that Pastor Kim gave us in his second point. Which of the six points do you find difficult to believe and practically live out? How does Jesus’ insistence that we approach God as our Father shape our praying as his children?
- What is a specific area of concern/stress/anger/disappointment in your life? How would your prayers be transformed if you approach God as a powerful, loving, and faithful Father?
Work: How this truth works out in your life
- Pastor Kim’s encouragement at the start of his message was to “take the next step” in prayer, e.g. rather than having marathon-like prayer times, can we pray for 1 more minute, 2 more minutes? What is the next step for you in your prayer life? How will you pursue this next step?
- One of the ways that our prayers will be shaped is when it’s informed by truth. In your sermon notes, Pastor Kim listed multiple truths about God as our Father that shape our prayers. Pick a few and take time to meditate on those truths and pray in light of them.
- How would you like to grow in prayer during this season?
- It would be remiss to not conclude this study with prayer. Conclude this study with prayer. If you find yourself distracted, confess your distractions. If you find yourself burdened, bring them to God. As much as prayer is about bringing our requests to God, it is also about cultivating our relationship with him. No time limit, but spend some time with God in prayer.
Sharing and Prayer
- The theme of our study in John is “to awaken and advance faith.” As you think about this season, what is one area in which you’d like to grow in living out your faith? Write this down and prepare to follow-up and track God’s work in our future sessions!
- What are some ways that you’d like to apply what you just learned to that one area you’d like to grow in living out your faith?
- Share other prayer requests.