The Darkness Flees: Session 6 (Spring 2021)
Session 6 – Small Group Study Guide
Word: How this truth should be understood
- One of the main themes of the book of 1 Peter is hope in the midst of suffering as Peter was addressing Christians who were facing increasing persecution for their faith. The future was uncertain and there was no guarantee of safety or security. With this in mind, how does pointing believers to their secured life in Christ and their future heavenly inheritance provide hope (1 Peter 1:3-5)?
- How does 1 Peter 1:6-9 give us insight into several possible reasons of why God allows suffering and trials in the lives of believers?
Worship: How this truth affects your heart
- One of the purposes of suffering is that it reveals our priorities and exposes what we truly treasure and value in life. In this past year of COVID / shelter-in-place / political turmoil / financial loss, what or who have you looked to for help and hope and why?
- Pastor Eric gave the illustration of Katharina von Bora, Martin Luther’s wife, dressing up in black to convey to her husband how he was practically living (as if God was dead). In what ways do you live “as if God is dead” (think about your decisions, thoughts/emotions, relationships)? How does living with the reality of a resurrected Savior change that?
Work: How this truth works out in your life
- Pastor Eric encouraged us that “for every one look at your difficult circumstance, take ten looks at the God of promise.” Take time to list out the current difficulties of your life in a column. Then in the next column, write out how the promises of God in 1 Peter 1:3-9 change the way that you interpret those difficult circumstances.
- Is there someone in your life whom you can encourage with the truth of the reality of a living Savior? How can you speak redemptively and give them hope (Calling them to pray with them, writing an email, mailing a letter, etc.)?
Sharing and Prayer
- The theme of our study in John is “to awaken and advance faith.” As you think about this season, what is one area in which you’d like to grow in living out your faith? Write this down and prepare to follow-up and track God’s work in our future sessions!
- What are some ways that you’d like to apply what you just learned to that one area you’d like to grow in living out your faith?
- Share other prayer requests.