Session 9 – Small Group Study Guide
Word: How this truth should be understood
- What is the significance of Peter fishing in John 21:3-4 (cf. John 16:32)?
- Compare and contrast Peter’s declaration of love for Jesus in Mark 14:26-31 to John 21:15-17. What changed?
- What is the significance of Jesus’ last words to Peter, “Follow me” (John 21:19)?
Worship: How this truth affects your heart
- Out of the 2 marks of pride listed in the sermon – (1) Self over Christ (including prayerlessness) and (2) Self instead Christ – which do you think you struggle with most? Why?
- Are you currently experiencing (or have you experienced in the past) struggles and sufferings that are “breaking” you? Reflect on what it means to lean into your sufferings in such a way that you could reap the harvest of all that God intends for you through your suffering.
- Jesus asks Peter repeatedly if he loves Him “more than these.” Though you love Jesus, in what ways are you tempted to love aspects of this world more than Jesus? Think about your pursuits, your goals in life, your desires for yourself. What would it look like to love Jesus more than anything else in your life and what is one way that you could grow in loving Jesus more today?
Work: How this truth works out in your life
- Since a mark of humility is prayer, make plans to spend time every day praying. Pray for God to help reveal to you aspects of pride in your own life and to grow in Christlike humility.
- One of the tricky aspects about pride is that most of the time we are blind to it and cannot see it in ourselves. If you were to ask your spouse or a good friend where you are prideful, what do you think they would say?
- Work through the “Manifestations of Pride” and the “Manifestations of Humility” lists by Stuart Scott in the Appendix A and B. Reflect on areas that you want to grow in and take time to pray for God’s help as you seek to pursue humility in your life.
Sharing and Prayer
- As you think about this season, what is one area in which you’d like to grow in living out your faith? Write this down and prepare to follow-up and track God’s work in our future sessions!
- What are some ways that you’d like to apply what you just learned to that one area you’d like to grow in living out your faith?
- Share other prayer requests.