Sermon Study: Session 4 (Fall 2021)
Session 4 – Small Group Study Guide
Word: How this truth should be understood
- Please read 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 for context. What contrasting images does Paul give us? Why do you think this is significant as we come to 5:1?
- Although this passage speaks of something that is largely in the future, notice in verse 1, it says that we “have a building from God.” Why does Paul emphasize “have” in the present tense, and not “will have” in the future tense?
- How does Paul describe the building from God in contrast to our earthly tents? Why is this significant?
Worship: How this truth affects your heart
- Verse 1 reminds us that we have a building from God that is “a house not made with hands,” and yet we are often more concerned about temporary things. What are the earthly things in your life that consume you? How does this reflect where you place your hope?
- Verse 5 reminds us that God has given us “the Spirit as a guarantee.” Pastor Francis mentioned some of the following resources from the Spirit at our disposal: eyes of faith, spiritual fruit, prayer, hope in a resurrection body, even preparing us through suffering. How would being mindful of these resources change how you currently live and give you hope in light of the previous question?
- Pastor Francis gave us a compelling vision of the beauty and permanence of heaven. How might having this vision of heaven affect how you share your faith and relate to those who may not know Christ?
Work: How this truth works out in your life
- What are ways that you can cultivate a “godly groaning” as Pastor Francis encouraged us to have? Take one or two of those ideas from the sermon and do them this week.
- One of the ways in which we are reminded of our heavenly home is through the church. In fact we are reminded of the importance of the body for this reason. Who are the people in the church who have encouraged your faith and given you eyes of faith? What is it about their lives that particularly encourage you to have a heavenly hope?
- Given that our series focuses on outreach and evangelism, how might you give a compelling vision of heaven to an unbeliever that you know? Consider what that person may be specifically struggling with and going through. How might a heavenly hope speak to his/her longings and suffering with specificity?
Sharing and Prayer
- As you think about this season, what is one area in which you’d like to grow in living out your faith? Write this down and prepare to follow-up and track God’s work in our future sessions!
- What are some ways that you’d like to apply what you just learned to that one area you’d like to grow in living out your faith?
- Share other prayer requests.