Session 3 – Small Group Study Guide
Word: How this truth should be understood
- Paul tells us in Philippians 1:27 to “only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ.” Looking at the rest of the verse, how does Paul describe what this looks like?
- There are many issues that the church can place their efforts and resources towards. How does Philippians 1:27 help us understand what the church should be united for and focused on (cf. 1 Cor 15:3-4)?
Worship: How this truth affects your heart
- A helpful cross-reference to our Sunday passage is 2 Corinthians 5:20a as it states, “Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us.” Together with these other passages – Phil 3:20-21, Luke 10:16, Acts 5:29 – how does this inform your understanding of what it means to be a Christian?
- Sunday’s message contrasts living as an ambassador versus living as a “tourist.” In what ways do you live like a “tourist” (eg., tourists embrace the culture, are consumers, are convinced that later is okay, seek comfort)? What lies are you tempted to believe?
- Scripture reminds us that the church is not just a sermon or a Sunday gathering, but rather it is a necessary part of our lives – these are relationships we need. How have you found the body to be an encouragement to you?
Work: How this truth works out in your life
- What are some practical ways that you can incorporate into your daily schedule to help remind you that this world is not our home but that we are citizens of heaven?
- Our passage reminds us that we need to invest in one another – and not simply attend. Who is someone that you can reach out to this week to begin that process of investing in one another (eg., praying for someone, inviting them to church or weekly ministry, bringing someone a meal, texting someone to see how they are doing)?
Sharing and Prayer
- As you think about this season, what is one area in which you’d like to grow in living out your faith? Write this down and prepare to follow-up and track God’s work in our future sessions!
- What are some ways that you’d like to apply what you just learned to that one area you’d like to grow in living out your faith?
- Share other prayer requests.