Episode 14: Shepherding our Children in Troubled Times
“How are we as parents to love the fainthearted? We need to encourage them. They also need truth but this truth is applied in a different manner and looked at in a different perspective. Rather than correction we look to comfort and point our children to a loving father who is truly in control of all things, who has a wise and loving plan that we will never fully understand. We use truth to grow faith and trust in our Heavenly Father.”
Open in Prayer
• Sing a song or songs about finding comfort in God (He Will Hold Me Fast, Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus)
• Read 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 out loud and discuss different ways that God has comforted you in affliction.
Icebreaker Question: Think back to your first day at a new school – what was fun and what was hard about it?
Key Verse: 1 Thessalonians 5:14 And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all.
Key Idea: We shepherd our children during this season by pointing them to Jesus
1. During these past 2 weeks of transition to this new normal, what have been some of the biggest challenges for you?
2. How have you been using your time in a way that pleases God?
3. Is there anything that makes you upset or fearful about this time?
4. What can you do to help someone else today?
Spend time in prayer as a family
1. For the children in our church family
That they will continue to look to Jesus, grow in their faith, and live well during this season.
2. For the parents in our church family
That they would wisely, lovingly, and patiently shepherd their children through this challenging time.
3. For our church family
That we may continue to shepherd our own hearts with truth and the comfort of God