1. Reasons for Unbelief: Trust in the sovereignty of God (vv. 37-43)
Two Reasons for Unbelief
1a. Because of sin, people willfully refuse to believe. They would not believe (vv. 36, 42-43)
1b. In God’s sovereignty, people are unable to believe. They could not believe (vv. 38-40)
– God’s sovereignty over belief/unbelief allows us to know peace and rest.
– God’s sovereignty over belief/unbelief makes us grateful for our own salvation.
– God’s sovereignty over belief/unbelief makes us compassionate toward those still lost in unbelief.
2. Rescue for Unbelievers: Turn to Jesus for salvation (vv. 44-50)