Our Only Comfort In Life and Death (1 Corinthians 3:18-23)
Key idea: People centered on the Messiah must know the cause of spiritual myopia and the cure for spiritual myopia.
1. The cause of spiritual myopia (vv. 18-20)
- Self-deception believes that the problem is out there, not within (v. 18a)
- Self-deception thinks that they are something when they are nothing (v. 18b)
- Self-deception only looks at the surface, not on the heart (vv. 19-20)
2. The cure for spiritual myopia (vv. 21-23)
Heidelberg Catechism Q1
What is your only comfort
in life and death?
That I am not my own,
but belong with body and soul,
both in life and in death,
to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ.