Living Faithfully for Christ in a World Opposed to Christ (Part 4)
Key Idea: To live faithfully for Christ in a world opposed to Christ we must be in the world, but not of the world, for the purpose of witnessing to the world.
1. We must be in the world… (Verses 14-15)
Main focus – To be “in the world” means we live in a culture that hates us, and with the devil who opposes us.
2. …but not of the world… (Verses 16-19)
Main focus – To be “not of the world” means to be faithful to Christ through living according to the Word, by living transformed by the Word
A. To be “not of the world” means to live according to the Word
B. To be “not of the world” means to live transformed by the Word
1 Corinthians 6:11 — 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
1 Thessalonians 5:23 — 23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- The Untransformed Heart – from fear to Pharisee
Identifying the Pharisee in our hearts:
- We aren’t concerned over the weightier matters of our faith (Matthew 23:23)
- We ignore or spiritualize sin (Matthew 23:25; Mark 7:11)
- We will be quick to judge, rather than quick to love (Luke 15:2)
- The Transformed Heart – from peace to purpose
a. The Word gives us reality against the world’s lies
- God has a plan (even when the world seems in chaos) – Genesis 50:20
- God loves us (even when the world doesn’t) – Romans 8:31-39
- God wins (even though the world seems to be ahead) – Revelation 21:1-5
b. The Word gives us Christ against the world’s idols
We respond in sinful fear, worry, and anxiety when an idol is threatened.
Two ways to fight for Christ and against our idols:
- Turn from your idolatry through repentance
- Turn to Christ by fueling your faith
Application: Be someone who can use the Word to move people towards Christ in faith and love.
3. … for the purpose of witnessing to the world