The Supremacy of the Son
Key idea: Jesus Christ is supreme over everything.
1. Jesus is supreme over the old creation (15-16)
a. Jesus is supreme because he is the image of God (15a)
b. Jesus is supreme because he is the firstborn over all creation (15b)
Jesus has the rights of the firstborn because:
1. All things were created by (in) him
2. All things were created through him
3. All things were created for him
Application: true life as a created being is only found in Jesus.
2. Jesus is supreme because he holds all things together (17-18)
3. Jesus is supreme over the new creation (the Church) (18b-20)
a) Jesus is supreme because he is the founder and the resurrector of the Church (18b)
Two ways that Jesus is supreme over the new creation:
1. The fullness of God was pleased to dwell in him
2. God was pleased to reconcile to himself all things through Jesus
1. Jesus is ____, and He _________ all things.
2. Jesus _________ all things together.
3. Jesus, __________________, is ______________ all things to himself.
Application: Is this the Jesus you believe in?
Key Idea: Be an evangelist. Truth #1: Be a Captivated Evangelist (v. 5) Trust #2: Be a Captivating Evangelist (v. 6)
Key Idea: God desires ministry to display the glory of His Son in the church through four essentials. The Christian’s Sacrifice (v.24) The Christian’s Stewardship (vv.25-26) The Christian’s Splendor (v.27) The Christian’s Service (vv.28-29)