Evangelism and Missions – REVAMP 2019
“Lighthouse Community Church exists to worship God through fulfilling the Great Commission in the spirit of the Great Commandment.”
We want to be a people who help fulfill the Great Commission by being a people . . .
- Who treasure our relationship with Jesus
- Who lovingly share the gospel
- Who humbly live out the gospel
- Who know we are only given one life to touch other people’s lives
This is encapsulated in the Evangelism Ministry mission statement: “Live for Jesus passionately by sharing the gospel with urgency, so that the world may worship Him eternally.”
Here are five different ways you can get involved with Lighthouse’s Evangelism Ministry.
- Invite friends and family.
- Personally share the gospel and look for ways to intersect your non-Christian friend and family with the church family.
- Invest your resources.
- Steward your time and money by investing in local and global outreach efforts.
- Involve yourself in evangelism locally and globally.
- Join or support short-term missions teams and long-term missionaries.
- Inform your worldview.
- Attend classes/seminars on how to share our faith and impact the world.
- Intercede through prayer.
- Come to God individually and corporately by praying the gospel will spread for God’s glory.
Lighthouse focuses its evangelistic efforts in two different areas:
- Local Evangelism – Reaching the lost in the South Bay and the U.S.
- Global Evangelism – Reaching the lost around the world
- 1. Partnership with Valor Christian Academy (VCA), a private Christian school in Redondo Beach. At VCA, teachers are able to share the gospel with students and impact families in our community.
- Our church has committed to praying for the school, equipping their staff in their outreach, and serving the school through Sharefest, an annual community service day that happens at the end of April or early May.
- 2. Partnership with Community’s Child: Community’s Child is a non-profit, non-denominational Christian organization that provides homeless and disadvantaged women and children with healthy alternatives to abuse, abandonment, poverty, and hopelessness. They have a gospel-centered transitional home and personal development program for homeless single mothers with children. Community’s Child offers a range of community-based programs where they share the gospel and provide disadvantaged South Bay families with biweekly nutritional groceries and health education; backpacks filled with school supplies and clothing; community clinics with health, vision, and dental screenings; and various classes for parents of disadvantaged children in the South Bay including CPR, first aid, parenting and employment readiness.
- 3. Local EV events: Throughout the year we organize fun, casual events such as coffee workshops, photography seminars, Super Bowl parties, Christmas lights walk, etc. These events are great opportunities to invite our friends and families to Lighthouse and hear the hope of the gospel. 4. Spectrum: Our international student ministry is focused on serving international college students in our area and sharing the love of Christ with them. We invite our church family to bless our students by providing a simple meal at one of our monthly Talk Time dinners, usually the first Friday of the month; serve as friendship partners; and invite students to a Thanksgiving lunch or dinner. If interested in helping with one of our monthly dinners, please visit our sign-up page.
Japan: VBS Team
What: Partnering with All Nations Fellowship and hosting an English Camp for the kids.
Dates: July 30 – August 3, 2019
Status: Team is Full
Japan: VBS Team
What: Partnering with Niseko Church and hosting an English Camp for the kids.
Dates: August 7 – 10, 2019
Status: Team is Full
Mexico: High School Team
What: This team will be growing a missions heart by serving the Mexican people.
Dates: July 6 – 13, 2019
Status: Team is Full
Special Requirements: Applicant must be a high school junior or senior.
Mexico: Home Building Team
What: Building a home for a family that is connected with our partner church, Nuevo Pacto.
Dates: August 22 – 25, 2019
Status: Applications will open on May 5, 2019
Special Requirements: See the physical demands for this team.
Uganda: Discipleship Team
What: This team will minister to the missionaries and their kids in the area of discipleship.
Where: Good Shepherd’s Fold
Dates: October 3 – 11, 2019 (Please confirm dates and application dates with David Wong)
Status: Applications will open on ???
Special Requirements: This team has been created for those who are part of Praxis and Branch. The team will also include individuals who have specific teaching gifts in the areas of discipleship and biblical counseling.
Apply to Join a Lighthouse Team
This application is for those who are applying to join a Lighthouse short term missions team. Filling out of this application does not mean you will automatically be accepted. The Global EV team will take a number of factors into account as we form the team and the first is that you, the applicant are a member of Lighthouse. If you are a member and the application window is open, please prayerfully consider the commitment you’ll make if you are accepted on the team.
*Link to the Short Term Mission Application (Jot Form)
Apply to Receive Support as a Short Term Missionary
This application is for those who are requesting spiritual and financial support from Lighthouse who are going on short term missions with an organization outside of Lighthouse. Do not use this application to apply for a Lighthouse short term missions team.
Short term missions is considered anything less than a year.
Lighthouse can provide up to 25% of the total support but the actual amount will be determined by the Global EV Team.
This application must be complete and submitted three months prior to your departure.
Once the application is received by one of the leaders, then an interview will be set up.
After the interview a Global EV team member will contact the applicant about:
- Being paired up with a Lighthouse Prayer Supporter. A Prayer Supporter is a fellow member who’ll journey with you in preparation for the trip, during the trip, and debrief with you after the trip.
- Possibly sharing to the church family.
- Setting up dates to have a display table after worship service.
- The financial amount that the person will receive.
Lighthouse joyfully supports several of its members as full-time missionaries. Our goal is that each Lighthouse missionary will be spurred on towards greater faithfulness because of the love, prayer, and provision of the church family. We hope that you will be part of that family.
Prayer meeting for our missionaries takes place on the 4th Sunday of every month at 10am in the Coffeehouse.
VBS in Japan: 2019
WHO: Jen Shida, Ken Shida, Toshi Saito, Cindy Kobayashi, Emi Ito, Christina Kato, and Mark Kato
WHEN/WHERE: Nagoya (July 30 – August 3) and Niseko (August 7 – 10)
WHAT: Lighthouse is sending a team to run a Vacation Bible School in two cities in Japan! Our church has the wonderful opportunity to build relationships with families in Japan, to run and play with kids, and to directly tell them the life-saving Gospel in a clear, understandable, and fun way!
The Lighthouse team will travel to All Nations Fellowship (ANF) church in Nagoya. Nagoya is the 3rd largest metropolitan area in Japan with 2.3 million people. ANF is located in a suburb of Nagoya called Nagakute, where many young families and school-aged children live. Hide Kawai, who completed a year-long internship at Lighthouse, is one of the church leaders at ANF. The team will partner with Hide and other church members to run a five-day VBS program. Each day will consist of different rotations, such as teaching, crafts, snacks, rec, and life application (addressing social issues such as bullying, homelessness, and depression). We are expecting 65 participants this year (same number as last year).
The team will then fly north to the island of Hokkaido. After landing at Sapporo airport, the team will drive two hours to a ski resort town called Niseko. There, we will partner with Niseko Church to run a four-day VBS program. In the winter, Niseko is a bustling world-class ski/snowboard location with many high-end hotels. But in the summer, it is a sleepy rural town with a population of 5,000. Niseko Church is a small church but will rent out a community center in the neighboring city of Kutchan. Last year, 40 kids joined us throughout the week, including ten kids who came all the way from a Christian international school in Kyoto. We hope to have more kids this year!
PLEASE PRAY FOR:
- Open hearts to the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ
- VBS kids (ages 4-11) and their family members who do not know Jesus
- Friendships being built between Lighthouse and All Nations Fellowship church and Niseko Church
- Lighthouse team’s health, safety, wisdom, and overflowing love
- More ministry opportunities for Lighthouse members to be involved in Japan missions in the years to come
FINANCIAL SUPPORT: If you are able to, please consider supporting the Japan VBS Team financially! The team must raise $12,000. There are many ways to give:
- You can give directly online, here.
- You can give a check through the Lighthouse offering. Please designate “Japan Missions” in the memo.
- You can mail a check to: Lighthouse Church Office, 501 Van Ness Avenue, Torrance, CA 90501.
Erin K – East Asia / OMF
Erin is a full-time missionary working with OMF International in the area of mobilization. OMF International serves the people of East Asia with the love and Gospel of Jesus Christ. Erin mentors and disciples short-term workers upon their return from serving overseas and challenges individuals them as well as their churches to be strategically involved long-term in the six practices of missions – go, pray, send, mobilize, welcome, and learn. Visit the OMF International website to find out how you can support Erin.
Erin’s Missionary Support Team is led by Yosh and Janine Amano.
Dan Lim – South Bay / International Students, Inc.
Dan is a full-time missionary to international students attending colleges and universities in the South Bay. He is partnering with International Students, Inc. (ISI) so that the gospel of Jesus Christ may be shared with these internationals before they head back to their home countries. Learn more about Dan’s ministry by visiting his homepage and supporting him financially.
Dan’s Missionary Support Team consists of Paul Sawasaki (Leader), Jeff and Kim Hee, Tracy and Cathy Lee, and Jeff and Gwen Silva.
Short Term Missions Prayer Supporters
The Global Evangelism ministry is looking for Prayer Supporters for our short term missionaries/teams we’ll be sending out this summer! This is an opportunity to “serve as senders” and faithfully walk alongside the missionaries who are going out to proclaim the love of Christ. As a prayer supporter, you will be paired up with a short term missionary (same gender) and will commit to meeting with them at least once before the trip and once after, and praying for your missionary before/during/after the trip.
We do ask that you be a Lighthouse member to sign up. If you are interested or would like more information, please sign up here or email Lisa Pau at firstname.lastname@example.org.